Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Joy and Spending

Yesterday was a good day--a rainy-stay-inside-day. The girls did word-searches, mazes, lots of playing pretend and art. Carolyn wanted to learn to knit.

She's doing pretty well. She's a pretty patient learner, so that helps.

I also walked around outside during a dry moment when D was sleeping and came upon a broken chair in the alley left for trash. It had some beautiful parts that I want to try to keep and turn into something...we'll see.
To quickly wrap up last month's journey--here's the summary. I first wanted to be careful that the "it's not enough" thought was not some latent religious guilt that can somehow seep into the lives of imperfect people trying to live a life pleasing to a perfect God. I truly don't think that was it. I think that God was trying to call me to more.

Imagine journeying to a stunning range of mountains, standing at the foothills, looking up, saying, "that's nice," and going home. I feel like my life and my role in expressing God's love for all people everywhere--especially the vulnerable and suffering--can either remain an insulated, arm's length experience or I can start to shed all the things that hold me back and start to climb that mountain. To really touch and experience a life in connection with the hurting and provide some kind of meaningful response is what I believe "it's not enough" was saying to me. I shouldn't just stand there, even shed tears or make a small gesture of response where there's so much more I can do.

Isaiah 58
is a sweeping and deeply challenging passage for me. The one phrase that echos in my heart is "...if you will spend yourselves on behalf of the hungry..." Spend myself.

It just happened that at the height of this internal processing, Adam and I had a big discussion on what more we can do to aggressively get out of debt. He was so excited for how much more we could give to the many needs close by and around the world. I gulped hard. I wanted at least some of that extra money for home improvements and to give a little bit of breathing room in our budget...Sure, I want to give, love to give, but I felt that all my sacrificing entitled me to some long-awaited improvements and repairs.

I've also sort of had this reawakening of desire to create--sewing, knitting, photography. This creates another internal battle. Do I spend money and time on these things when there are other pressing needs? How can I justify these things? I live in a culture that says I'm entitled to do what makes me feel good (and those things do make me feel good). Is there more here?

Without a reasonable justification, I tend toward an all or nothing approach to hobbies/art. As in, if it doesn't make money compared to what I'm spending on it or if I'm mediocre at it, then it's not a justifiable use of time/money. Honestly I don't think I buy my own argument in my heart or I wouldn't keep returning to these things, but I return with hesitation and a measure of guilt. That's no fun. :)

This is where I'd love to hear from you. I think there's a meaningful dialogue that can take place if you'd be brave enough to weigh in. Thank you, in advance for your thoughts.

4 comments:

Andrea Moberly said...

Its so interesting to read what you're going through because I too have been experiencing a opening of my heart lately. I feel the pull by the Spirit to invest my heart more deeply into what God has for me, without knowing what the "what" is. I am still not sure why God has continued to press into me the feeling that I don't understand poverty or need in any real tangible way.

I also have been having a growing desire to express myself through hobbies. Its interesting to read this struggle: "if it doesn't make money compared to what I'm spending on it or if I'm mediocre at it, then it's not a justifiable use of time/money" because I totally understand that. For a long time I felt guilty taking any time other than the blank time I used watching TV or just listening to music to engage in hobbies that I loved. That is until I started to realize how much an experience of worship it can be to create. The Psalms talk about God knitting us together; He obviously found delight in creation as seen by the amazing variety and ingenuity in the designs of plants and animals He created; He set aside artisans in the OT to adorn his temple - and He is the one who gifted them to create in the first place! I have found such amazing peace in being able to create lately. I often meditate on the joy God experiences as He works and creates in His world. I truly believe that creation is a part of how we experience God. Each person has their own gifts in creation. Mine lay dormant for many many years, unknown by me. Now that I know my gifts I am freed to be able to express more of myself, and therefore more of God, in a way that I never have been able to in the past! I am more who I am intended to be through creation. And we can never know what God will do with the passions he gives us in the future. As small investment now in a skill may produce huge opportunities for mission in the future.

Sorry, that was long, but you asked for it!

andrew,betsy,& noura said...

i am struggling with the same...I want to put actions into all the things I say I care about...easier said than done!

MamaTow said...

Whenever I start to get overwhelmed about money and overwhelmed about my inability to affect the kind of change I want to see in the world, I play the "million dollar" game.

Surely if I won a million dollars, I could help all of the people I want to help and I could make a real change. I write down the big number 1,000,000 then I start subtracting.

No matter how many time I play the game, there is never enough money! What does this say about the kind of expectations I am putting on myself?

I have to be ok with "spending" my time, money and spirit in nthe best way that I can until I get overwhelmed and have to play the game again...

Heart and Hands said...

Thanks friends. I've been thinking about all that you've said. I appreciate your insights and knowing that I'm not alone!

I think that the desire to create and the desire to respond to the needs of the world are intertwined. It may be that giving myself permission to engage in creativity will give me space to listen and think about my role in giving and loving and serving.

It's so funny that I can see clearly the connection for me between gardening and spirituality--even exercising and spirituality, but I really couldn't in this area!

This journey, I'm sure will continue to unfold, but I'm at a much more settled and peaceful place with the creative side. Thank you all.