Saturday, March 22, 2008

And then there was one...

We became a one car family this week. Our mini van died this week and was promptly sold. We knew this day would come, but it's a bit disorienting. The plan we'd worked out to replace the van isn't fully ready to implement and the speed of the van's disappearance has caused a bit of re-orientation. It's on days like this that I SO wish Indy had a more user-friendly mass-transit system. We're still many years away, unfortunately.
In the mean time, this event has given me the chance to meditate on the truths found in Psalm 23. "The Lord is my shepherd, I shall not be in want." God has provided the van, sustained the van (14 years old, 6+ years with our family). "He makes me lie down in green pastures, he leads me beside still waters." He knows what we need and will get us there. I need to follow and enjoy what is in front of me.
I'm also reminded of some of the phrases in the Lord's Prayer. "Give us this day, our daily bread." Rarely, in our culture do we have to really live this phrase. Living in the moment, trusting God will provide for today and truly not worrying about tomorrow requires a lot of faith and discipline. I have to choose to not worry, not try to fix tomorrow with resources I don't have.
I really believe everything will work out. This way is more of an adventure, but I've learned that adventures usually turn out better than I expect. I usually learn more about myself and God in the process, too.
Stay tuned for more installments of the car adventure!

No comments: