Sunday, March 16, 2008

Amaryllis



My amaryllis bloomed yesterday. The wonder of new life returning season after season never stops filling me with joy. I always feel like it's Christmas morning when I see that first tender green shoot peeking out of a hopeless looking bulb. This beautiful plant also carries me from the endless grey days of February to hopeful days of late March when the tulips start to peek out of the frozen flowerbeds and I have another round of new life to celebrate.

I also love the story of this particular amaryllis. One of the members of my book club hosted a Christmas dinner party a few years ago. She prepared the most amazing gourmet meal and it was a generous and beautiful party. The host and hostess were Swiss. It was their cultural tradition that the guests all bring a small gift. Then each guest picks a gift and opens it at the party. I picked a shiny green box with a red bow and was delighted to find an "amaryllis kit." I've carefully and joyfully tried to coax it back to life every year.

1 comment:

Nikki Keever said...

I was reading in my Real Simple yesterday about a Mom of a teenager reminising about her days as a "not able to connect" mom in various play groups. She came to the realization that, like your amaryllis, we are like layers of skins renewing, needing renewed and glowing...all the time, wherever we are. Thanks for starting a blog my friend. Nikki