Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Fun Project

There are lots of new babies on the way or recently arrived around here. It's fun to celebrate these new lives. I've been wanting to make a special, personal, handmade gift for these little ones. But I'm a painfully slow knitter and I'm still plugging away at the February Lady sweater. And many of these babies are spring or summer babies. Hats or sweaters don't make a lot of sense.

Instead, I made my first felt block toy inspired by The Creative Family. The book was a little thin on directions for the decorations. I tried a sharpie pen and wasn't happy with the results. So I cut out some simple shapes that needed no detail and carefully sewed them on to each block. The trick was sewing them with enough margin to allow for seams on all sides. The second tricky part was sewing the last pieces of the block in the right order and closing the last seam by hand. Practice will make this easier, I think. Still, it was done in a day and I was happy with it. I put a few bells inside so it makes sounds when you shake it.

Here are some pictures in progress and the sweet baby boy.

3 comments:

The Haste Family said...

how cute! What a great idea!

Alison said...

So cute!

Kelly said...

catching up with your blog... i LOVE this idea! what a unique and treasured gift this will be! i'm so impressed and inspired by your creativity. :)