Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Advent Part 3: Peace

This is the week I usually lose it. I lose the wonder and the calm. The measured pace as we progress toward Christmas Day. I start realizing how much is still undone. I start staying up later and later. Working harder and harder.

About this time last year, on a crazy evening when all three kids were going 3 different directions and leaving a trail of chaos and noise behind, my doorbell rang. Our neighbors were at the door with yummy cookies, warm wishes for the season and a gift. I unwrapped a dove-shaped Christmas ornament made at an art program for kids with special needs and inner-city kids. It had the word "peace" stamped on it in wobbly letters. peace. now. in this chaotic moment.

"Don't forget," my heart whispered, as I hung it on our tree in humbled silence. Peace. Delivered to my door by friends. Crafted by a child. Whispered to my heart by the Prince of Peace. A word and a promise so needed today. It's worth saying again (I need to hear it as much as anyone): it's not about the gifts and the cookies and the cards and the decorations. It's much bigger and far more profound than that. What's most needed by all humanity is within reach. peace. now and forever in our hearts and minds. in our homes and relationships. between neighbors and nations. Let it be-- now and always starting with me.

2 comments:

Andrea Moberly said...

I just love hearing what God inspires you to share! I am going to be thinking a lot about peace today, I can tell already - its what my life could use as well!

Peter and Nancy said...

I was just thinking yesterday that I wasn't feeling very Christmas-y . . . some Christmas outreaches had to be postponed due to snow, and ended up crammed into this past week. Along with my Christmas cards, the cookies I haven't baked, etc. Your post brought a smile to my face and reminded me of how chaotic Bethlehem must have been. The ornament is beautiful -- and so are your thoughts.
-- Nancy