Monday, January 26, 2009

Before and After

It's been a while. I'm realizing I have these windows of time where I don't feel that I have a lot to say on my blog. Many blogs I follow manage to give a photo and a sentence or two here or there. I think I'm going to pursue a happy medium. Authenticity with frequency. Not waiting for the perfect picture or deep ideas. Just more of real life through my eyes.

This is a project I'm really proud of. We were given a hutch and a writing desk from my parents that they no longer had room to display. It didn't quite match our home.
Before:


I was going to paint it cream and white, but my mom suggested black. (Thanks Mom!) I changed the hardware to brushed silver and found a curtain panel on mega sale at a store that was closing. I cut pieces of fabric to fit the spaces, used a spray-adhesive by 3M and used an old credit card to smooth the fabric out from the center. The edges are a bit frayed, but they are hard to see and the overall effect is just as wonderful as I'd hoped.
After:
I'm loving my surprise birthday gift from my husband and my parents. A Cannon EOS Rebel Digital Camera. Adam found the body of the camera on Craigs List and was given the lenses (yes, 2!). Adam got to shop for the bag--which he LOVES. He's all about the right storage container for the job. It brings him joy. Here are a couple of pictures from my first days with my new gift.

The two pictures of me were taken by Adam. The last one is looking out the window of a condo we stayed in at the end of December for a week. Our porch opened up to a golf course. The morning light on the frosty grass took my breath away every day.

3 comments:

Kelly said...

nice work on the cabinet -- it's beautiful! and have fun with your new camera!

i have the same struggle with my blog: less frequency with more depth, or just glimpses of life. i think i go back and forth. a lot. :) i suppose that's the beauty of blogging -- you get to decide, or change your mind as often as you like!

Julie & Patrick said...

Nice job refurbing the cabinet to fit your needs. You gave it new life and it looks great.

Have fun with the camera. It is the same one I use and just love it!!

Julie R

Alison said...

What a beautiful cabinet! You certainly have an eye for seeing something as it could be and not for what it is.