Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Spring Break

We're on spring break this week. Yesterday, I'm happy to say I was in my pj's until 4pm!! Yes. It was great. Today we had our family favorite for both special days and ordinary days: Cinnamon rolls and scrambled eggs. It's a race to see who can finish their eggs first to get the first choice of cinnamon rolls.
We are doing great on the car situation. Thank you to so many of you for your interest, concern and offers to help. A family from our school was on vacation this week and offered us their van for the week. And then Sunday morning, a friend who is leaving for 5 months to work with an organization called Loving South Africa (LSA) offered her car to us while she's gone. This means we will be back to 2 cars for a while. See--it really does all come together! God is good.

Spring break at home started with a list at the end of last week of things the girls wanted to do. David's happy just having his big sisters around. We're doing "the letter of the day" complete with pictures and words. Yesterday, Carolyn gave the girls temporary tattoos, there was a lot of dress up and crafts. I made a pseudo-Indian dish for dinner using a Rachel Ray recipe. Carolyn threw a huge fit announcing that type of food is horrible. When asked what kids in India eat, she announced miserably that "they probably didn't like it either." Oh well. She made it through and we had milkshakes for desert. Mmmmm. A good day. I need to work out today! :)


I need some decorating advice. I bought this fabric almost (a-hem) 5 years ago in Maderia, an island off of Portugal when Adam and I went there for our 5 year anniversary. I loved the design and colors and thought it would work well with the colors in our home. I had to decide on the spot how much I needed to make curtains for up to 6 windows. All the windows on the 1st floor are exactly the same dimensions. I'm wanting/willing to sew curtains, but I'm not super confident in my sewing skills and don't want to be disappointed or waste this fabric...so it's just been sitting for a long, long time. Thoughts, patterns, advice?

3 comments:

Julie & Patrick said...

I'm not a great seamstress, but my suggestion would be to take the panel measurements off of a package of curatins in a store that fit your window. Then cut lengths to match the measurements and hem the selvage edges and use either wide grained ribbon or a solid matching fabric to create the loops to put the rod through. Attach the loops to your yardage with matching big buttons (to accentuate the round pattern and add a bit of decoration)

Good luck :)
Julie R

MamaTow said...

I have trouble doing things that need exact measurements. I do (surprisingly) have a sewing machine if you need it. It is very underused...

carol said...

Awesome fabric...especially awesome since you got it in a far away exotic place!
Don't ask me about sewing...you know that! I have been collecting bits of fabric to someday make a quilt....I can do that..right?
I'm so glad you have a blog!