Monday, April 7, 2008

Spinning

I'm really trying to slow down from time to time and see and enjoy my kids. I'm the mom who's found herself telling her kids to hurry when we don't have anywhere to be and no one's waiting on us...bad. The other day our son fell asleep in the car. He's the youngest of 3 and often gets shuffled from here to there around the schedules of the rest of the family. Naps are good for him and a window of opportunity for me to be productive. I brought him in and sat in the rocker given to us upon the birth of our first child. He stayed asleep and I just rocked with his head on my shoulder for a long time. It was deeply soothing and good beyond the words I can find at this moment.

Tonight was the end of a fairly crazy day. My husband worked late and I took the kids out for some fast food which included me spilling a drink and our son spilling a milk shake and throwing a temper tantrum with food flying everywhere. I fed him when we got home. It was the kind of "feeding" where he took a bite and ran around for a while...upstairs into some other projects back downstairs, another bite...For my personality this is fuel for a crazy mommy. Tonight, somehow I just really wanted to be with him. I gave him a bite of banana and we started spinning on the kitchen floor. I was in my socks and the sun was setting letting warm, golden spring light into the room. Everything was a blur except for his face. His smiling face chewing healthy food with a mom who loves him and knows him and can make him laugh and fill his body with food (when he agrees to eat). I want this for every orphan in India. Every orphan all over the world. A moment of perfect spinning with a mom, a smile and a full tummy.

3 comments:

Andrea Moberly said...

I needed that reminder today, thanks. Its so hard to remember to stop and just be with my kids sometimes. Life gets in the way and I'm constantly running too fast and often I miss those little moments of peace.

Amber said...

This post painted such a lovely picture of how the body of Christ is truly supposed to work. David is this pure example of what it looks like to be His hands and feet all over the world. Thanks for being so vivid in your descriuption!

Ren said...

You are so wonderful... I love reading your blog and being able to keep up to date with you in that way. I am missing you guys like crazy. Thank you for sharing these special times in your life! I Love You Guys!