Monday, July 7, 2008

Recent Projects

I've been having a lot of fun working on different projects, lately. I've also been trying to take more pictures when I notice beautiful things. Here are some of the results.

This hydrangea came from my great-grandparents' home in Colorado. They lived in the same house for...at least 40 years, maybe longer. They grew these huge, beautiful hydrangea bushes in the front of their house. I have many childhood memories of walking around and around their yard, looking at beautiful flowers and gardens, gently touching, smelling, watching bees gather pollen. After my great-grandfather passed away last year, my mom brought these cuttings of his bushes here. I didn't know if they would make it. They flowered this summer and Carolyn brought this flower in to me one day. I put it in this little glass in my kitchen window. It is one of many, many reminders that my great-grandparents are still with me in so many ways and so many forms. (Sniffle. Smile.)

I sewed my first skirt using fabric from my "pile of good intentions." Fabric I impulsively bought thinking I would make something, and years later it still is folded in some corner or closet...I used this book, which was very helpful and empowering. Funny story. It's a drawstring skirt, so it needs to be a little roomy at the top to get past the hips...Somehow I WAY over compensated on those measurements and here was the result:

Yeah. A little more roomy than I was planning on...but it makes me (and my husband) laugh almost every time I put it on...More skirts to come!

Finally, I knitted these washcloths as part of a wedding gift using organic cotton with natural dyes. I loved the colors, the feel of the yarn and using tiny bamboo needles. The patterns were from the purl bee. Love their projects and tutorials!


Thanks to all for your support and encouragement in exploring this part of myself. Tomorrow I want to propose a group project of sorts...stay tuned!

3 comments:

Andrea Moberly said...

Nice story about the hydrangea :) Its so nice to have that kind of reminder of loved ones!

I really like your skirt! You may think its huge, but I actually bought a drawstring skirt without trying it on that is the exact same way! I just make sure to wear a long shirt over it ;)

I'm curious about your proposal... I'll make sure to check by tomorrow!

Kelly said...

LOVE the skirt, christin -- you have great taste in fabrics (from the two i've seen so far). and that second photo made me laugh out loud. :) and thanks for sharing about keeping those precious memories alive...

a question about the knitting: did you teach yourself? i've always wanted to learn but can't find someone (local) to show me, and i am a hands-on learner.

Heart and Hands said...

I learned to knit from my mom when I was young and then forgot...A few years ago a lady taught me. You could find a yarn store and have someone there teach you. I'm sure you have several in the area.