Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Autumn Joy

No other season is as exciting to me as autumn. The colors, the smells, the temperature, the anticipation of seasons and celebrations to come. Closure on the birth and maturity of spring and summer. Harvest. Apple cider, pumpkin bread. Sweaters and quilts. Raking: I love the rhythmic sound of the rake, the crunch of the leaves under my feet. I love watching the kids play in the leaves. Each tree takes on its own voice and personality as it transforms and sheds its leaves. The shorter days remind me to make the most of every moment. The cool nights invite me to light candles and revel in the soft light under a quilt or in a cozy sweater.

What do you love about autumn? Why?

For Adam's birthday, he and I went away for the weekend to Turkey Run State Park in western Indiana. We stayed at a charming Inn. Ate fantastic burgers and ice cream at Tammy's Twist and Sizzle (pumpkin pie ice cream for me. Yum!!) We hiked and took tons of pictures. We slept in. We read and lounged on the second floor porch.

I finished a great murder mystery (The Virgin of Small Plains) and almost finished a hat.

Two thoughts from the hike: 1. I loved feeling small and noticing the colors and contours of this amazing corner of the planet we live on. I took a few minutes to pause by a small creek and listen to the water. The familiar passage from Psalm 23 came to mind: "He makes me lie down in green pastures, he leads me beside quiet waters, he restores my soul." I felt restored.


2. We came past a huge tree that had been blown over in a wind storm. The effect was stunning. There happened to be a park ranger nearby. He mentioned that this tree had no tap root to anchor it. Even though it appeared to be rooted firmly, it only had surface roots. The only root that holds a tree during the tough storms is the invisible one that goes down deep into the earth. The spiritual parallels are so clear, aren't they? I can appear connected and rooted, and so can you. It's the invisible root that holds you and me firm in the hardest storms. How are you doing on that? It's given me pause lately.

3 comments:

Alison said...

Autumn is my favorite season, as well. I love all the things you said! :-) It is just a beautiful time of year and does seem so peaceful. A time of rest before the rest of the seasons come along! I'm a huge fan of pumpkin, too. I love the pumpkin spice latte at Starbuck's. It's just a beautiful time of year.

Peter and Nancy said...

We have been enjoying autumn here too -- despite weekend temps in the 80s! Very weird for Wisconsin. I love the tap root analogy. That will stay with me for a long time.

I'm so glad you had a getaway! It's so vital for parents to be simply a couple again (however briefly!).

-- Nancy

Amy said...

I LOVE autumn! I have a slight obsession with pumpkins - not just for decorating but eating too. I love the chill in the air (even though it is still relatively warm here) and the changing of the leaves.